[Dailydrool] Subcutaneous fluid injection question

Susan Hurt toodlessm at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 11:17:33 PDT 2011

Greetings everyone, from St. Louis!  This is my first time posting and I would like some input, please.  I have 4 bazaars and my 11 month old baby Winston recently had a minor procedure with a subcutaneous fluid injection (SQ) included.  In an extremely rare complication, he developed an infection not at the injection site but where the fluid tends to settle by gravity on one of his sides.

To make a long story short, he developed abscesses that had to be lanced; one grew to an alarming 3 x 1 inches with all the skin slouching off so you could see all the underlying tissue including the fat, etc.  He has been admitted to the vets daily and dripping serous/ bloody fluid all over the place through his tee shirts.

We just got preliminary culture results and the organism is pasteurella!?!  I am wondering if any of you have experienced this complication before because my vets have not.  Also I have been wondering if Winston may be immunocompromised to have such a bizarre reaction (both my husband and I are MD's).  I have been reading about XSCID, but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Thanks for your time.

Susan H

Sent from my iPad
Susan Hurt