[Dailydrool] Help with night time behavior

thepamperedpets at comcast.net thepamperedpets at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 21:02:38 PDT 2011

In January we adopted a basset from a shelter in Ohio in the middle of Amish puppy mills and dog auction county. Mabel was very undernourished weighing only 32 pounds and being able to count every rib and the outline of the rib cage, very timid yet very loving. Had not been allowed on furniture and we are her4th home. She is between 3-5 years old and was recovering from whipworm.

She gets along well with Bailey, though she is kinda rough in her playing, she constantly chews ears. She was guarding food but has overcome that for the most part. She has become very attached to me, much to Maggie's dismay. I was home for about 10 days and it became very evident tha she had started to guard me. She is afraid of men and takes a while to adjust to them. Now her and Maggie were playing a little but not a whole lot. During the day they get along fine, the problem is at night when everyone goes to bed, if Maggie goes to get on the bed Mabel violently attacks her, if they come up the stairs to get Mabel boxes her ears and goes after Maggie. I have been trying to distract Mabel and have DH get Maggie on the bed and cover her. Recently they have been getting along and playing nicer with each other and the attacks are not nightly anymore, but it is so strange Mabel hears a noise at night the ears get boxed and she is ready to rip someone's throat out. One saving grace is that she has an over/under bite so when she tries to bite she can't really get hold of anything except of course my hand, arm or fingers with the stray tooth.
Any suggestions? I know I have ben lucky to this point have always been told hard to have an all female household but this is my first problem. Please email me off list with suggestions

Nancy momma to Maggie that's my momma,

Bailey- Why can't we all just get along,

Mabel the night terror,

Alice ATB

Trixie ATB

Samantha ATB