[Dailydrool] Introducing Bilbo Baggins

Kristin Gary robkris82573 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 06:19:22 PDT 2011

We would like to introduce our latest family member, Bilbo Baggins Gary to the Daily Drool.  The poor guy has just been through hell.  He is about 7-8 years old and was found as a stray in rural Southern Ohio.  The Ross county dog warden had to chase him for miles and then eventually dart him.  So poor Bilbo woke up disoriented in the dog shelter, which let me tell you, isn't the Hilton.  Apparently he was aggressive when he woke up and tried to bite one of the guys who captured him.  Luckily, the manager at the shelter spent some time with him and realized he was just terrified.  My husband and I found Bilbo listed on Petfinder when I was searching for senior bassets in shelters.

We drove about an hour from Columbus and went to meet our little man.  He is just the sweetest boy, clearly starving for affection and food.  You can count his every rib.  After a walk around the neighborhood, two baths (he was just filthy), and some dinner he settled down on one of our dog beds and snoozed.  We did have to coax him up the one step into our home because I think he has been an outdoor dog in a kennel all his life.  He is confused by the most normal household objects like stairs, the dishwasher making noise, and the washer and dryer.

He is still a little uncertain and needy, but thrilled to be in our home.  He has been a perfect gentleman to our other two basset girls and shown no interest in our cats.  He has marked a few times in our home but as he probably hasn't been in a house and needs to be neutered we're hoping that will stop in time.  Part of his adoption package includes a voucher for a free neuter which I hope to schedule for next week.  I will find out when the vet's office opens on Monday.

Please send some welcome drool to our boy and keep paws crossed that neutering won't be too stressful for him.  We also need to have him tested for heart worm and a lump checked out as well.  We're praying that he is heart worm free and the lump is just a fatty cyst as we think he has been through enough already.

Sorry this is so long, but we're pretty excited to welcome our new family member.

Drools to all in need,

Kristin and Robert
Nessie, Maddie, and now Bilbo!

We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
  ~ Immanuel Kant