[Dailydrool] Food guarding

Dawn Gardner dawn at happyhoundpetservices.com
Sun Mar 27 10:25:46 PDT 2011

Tom,

See my e-mail on resource guarding regarding the night time behavior.  Same
thing going on here.  You need to start a desensitization program, and Jean
Donaldson's book should be able to help you out.  You may need to have a
professional help you out.  Most of the APDT folks use scientific methods
because the whole goal of the organization is to make sure we are educated
as trainers.  www.apdt.com

There are, by the way, APDT trainers in countries other than the US.   If
you can't find one in your area, you may find one that does Skype
consultations.  I'm going to start, but haven't just yet.

I would address this ASAP.  I would start by putting myself a safe distance
from your dog and tossing the food to her a piece at a time.  No more food
bowls for a while.  You can gradually get closer and closer to her until you
are dropping the food, and then (and this may take you months) being able to
hand feed.  But don't hand feed if there is any chance she will bite!  But
the food does need to come from you.  She needs to learn that without your
presence there is no food.

Dawn Gardner
Behavioral Consultant & Trainer
Happy Hound Pet Services