[Dailydrool] Looseing Wally Walker

Patty Crawford gusandto at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 21:52:20 PDT 2011

HI All
Thank everyone who has email me already about my loss of Wally. He was such a
good boy with lots of unknown issues. In his youth he was a show dog and had his
champion title. Sometime after he received his title he was placed in a small
kennel run and left there. No one is sure how long he was there but in Nov.
2009 he and about 4 other bassets were pulled from deplorable conditions. When
he arrived at Alexa's house with his sister the were both severely under weight
and covered in their own filth. The first time I met "Walker" he stunk so bad
you could smell him a mile away. He spent 2 months with Alexa before he came to
my house joining Gus and Tallulah.

With the help of my mom "Walker" became Wally Walker. Wally was such a joy he
had no clue about anything. From the beginning I thought he was just a klutz,
but now we know he was probably suffering from a slow moving neurological
disorder the attacked the front half of his body.
Wally greeted each and every day with a tail wag and a run into the door jam of
my bedroom. His life with me was short but I crammed alot of new things for him
to experience. He traveled with me, helped do transports for BRoPS, and play and
run free even though he would fall. Everyone that met him loved him and Wally
soaked up every once he could get. Wally was truly making up for lost time.

About 2 months ago he started having more and more problems with his front legs.
Then 2 weeks ago we did an educational booth at the Seattle kennel club show.
Wally had a had time with the slick polish concrete floor and spent alot of time
sliding around. The rest is that he just deteriorated every remedy seem to
stabilize him for a day here or there but then it would be just worse. I thought
last Wed remedy was the winner but Sat very early am he cryed out on pain over
and over. I was dog sitting at Joni's I ran back to my house and got his
remedy's and was able to dose him to make him comfortable. When we got up he was
unable to move he had no reflexes in his front feet and very little the back. I
call Alexa and she brought me Remedial and trimodal. Even with those drugs in
his system he was still in great pain. We took him to the vet to see if there
was anything else I could do. The prognosis was not good and even if we got him
stabilized he would be in pain. I could not do that to him. So surrounded by
friends I let my Wally Walker go. He was just 8 1/2 years old and had only lived
with me for a year but what a year we had together.
I want to thank Alexa for benign there again, Joni and Gary cutting their trip
short to come home and be there and Carole for coming to.
My house is so empty no I have lost both my men in 2 months.
I will adopt me a senior again one of these days. For now it's just me and
Tallulah holding down the fort.
Loving Drool
Patty Crawford

Gus ATB http://www.dogster.com/dogs/742885