[Dailydrool] Seniors

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Mar 18 07:53:15 PDT 2011

<<
"True, they won't be around much longer. True,they don't ask for
much."

I wish someone would tell my senior housedogs?
here that.? It's its not one thing its 2 other things.? Piggy
Paws: 'I'm finished with my dinner now,? Are you going to leave me in
this crate forever?? It's been 10 minutes.? Come let me
out!!"? Bo:? Mom!? Pigs took my bone.? Ok, so I
gave it to her, but only because I'm a gentlehound.? I want a
bone.? whine whine. '? Bertha:? ' I want the BLUE
blanket!? Pigs is looking at my bowl - make her stop. I can't sleep.
I want Oprah's crate.? Why don't I have a chewy.'? Oprah is
fairly uncomplaining, but then she's barely a senior.? All she says
is " Dad!? I need out of this crate NOW.? It's
uncomfortalbe for a basset to keep her legs crossed,.'? Whew!?
Never a demandless moment at this house.

Actually, you are both right. Our first senior, Alexis, was a wonderfully undemanding hound. That was because for many years she had lived in a home with owners, not slaves. She just wanted a place to sleep and good food (unlike the stuff she'd originally been fed by the owners). Though she became a little princess, under our hounds' tutelage, she was never all that demanding.

As for our current three, they have made demanding and manipulation an art form. They wake me in the middle of the night because they want to go out. I have frequently changed their food, either because they do not like the current kind anymore or because a tender tummy will no longer tolerate it. And Abner tries to sleep in the bedroom each night, even though he has tiffs with Belvedere if he sleeps there too. One of them has to sleep in the living room, and I can't sleep until they are settled. (And they wonder why I'm so crabby in the morning?)

Yes, these three spend most of their time relaxing on beds or the couch, but they still rule the roost. There is no doubt in my mind who's in charge here.

It just depends on your rescue's history... Since the CBL breeds her own bassets, they are most likely spoiled from birth. What else could you expect of a group of well-bred hounds?
Pam, food slave to the terribly spoiled Dashing Bassets