[Dailydrool] confusion over Snoopy

A. Woodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Fri Mar 18 16:51:41 PDT 2011

You know, Snoopy may just have bad manners.  My Holly did when we got her.
She was 8 years old and ended up in the shelter, she was dumped there with
her beautiful bed.  Very obviously well taken care of and a spoiled,
pampered princess, and then boom, they dropped her off.

Puppies are taught manners by other dogs, and if they are not allowed to be
around other dogs and socialize, they don't learn.  Holly would run right up
to another dog and crash into it and get right in it's face, she is not
aggressive and didn't mean to be, she was just extremely excited to meet
other dogs, but this is bad, bad manners in the doggie world.  So one
morning we were out walking, and a humongous black lab came around the
corner of a house, walking (dragging) a lady.  I asked if the girls could
meet the dog, she said yes it's very friendly, and then Holly went running
up to it like she always did, which was full speed into the face, pretty
much banging into the other dog.

WELL, the big black dog wasn't putting up with this - it grabbed Holly by
the snooter and HUNG ON!!  Holly was squealing at the top of her lungs and
dancing around with the other dog holding her nose...after about 10 seconds
it let loose and turned away and drug it's apologizing owner off down the
street.  No blood, Holly wasn't hurt, but boy did she learn her lesson.
It's amazing how well you pay attention when you think you're not going to
get your nose back!  She hasn't behaved like that since, and it was almost
three years ago.

Of course there is always a down side to every good lesson - now Holly loves
to correct rude puppies and guess how she does it - she waits for them to
bang into her and then WHAM, she bites them on the nose.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net