[Dailydrool] How do you get your basset up on stuff?

Nancy Kay nancykay9 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:56:46 PDT 2011

Mostly, our "stuff" is pretty low. We like modern-ish
contemporary furniture, which is usually lower to the ground than
traditional, antique-ish furniture. We have a platform bed with just a
mattress (no box-spring). If we didn't have Frank and Tina, I'd probably
raise it 4-6" to make it more comfortable for us humans. We have laminate
flooring in the bedroom, and we have non-skid throw rugs all around the low
bed so that when they jump off, they won't skid.

Our bassetmobile is now a Subaru Outback, which is quite a bit higher to get
F+T into than the Element was. They both know to put their front paws up
onto the back bumper, then we hoist up their back-end and in they go.
Getting out of the Outback is another matter. We have a big heavy-duty
cooler and a rubber mat that fits on top, so when they get out, we push the
cooler and non-skid mat up against the back bumper. It cuts the
down-distance about in half, so they hop down, one at a time, onto the
cooler, then onto the street. That works fine, a bit of a pain, but no more
than lugging steps or a ramp would be.

Nancy, the well-trained slave, owned by Frank the Tank and Tina the
Bra-stealer