[Dailydrool] Food aggression

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Mar 26 20:21:48 PDT 2011

Sounds as if your dog is much worse than our Belvedere was with this, but I wonder if some of the things I learned from him might still help you.

First, in my experience, a dog with food aggression is nervous about something. Perhaps it had to defend itself against another dog who stole its food, or perhaps people played games with food or did not give it enough. You need to be certain your hound feels secure at feeding time. All of our dogs are fed separately, so that no one has to feel nervous about eating. Though Bel will allow Jane to take his food, if she wants it, he will not allow Abner, who is lower in pack order, to get near him. A fight's in the making if he tries. So everyone gets fed in a separate room.

When Bel's aggression was at its worst I read that you should hand feed the dog, so that it knows that you are in charge of food and bring good things to the dog. Bel was not aggressive with me, so I tried that and it seemed to work. In your situation I think it would be better if you put the food in a measuring cup and poured a little into the bowl at a time, wihout getting too near your dog or the dish (I have seen Victoria Stillwell have people do this). If this is too dangerous, you probably need to connect with a behaviorist who is familiar with this kind of situation and can give you help. Do not put yourself at risk. Though a behaviorist will cost some money, if you get the right one, you will vote it fully worth the cost.

As Belvedere became more secure here, he lost most of his aggression. The only danger is for Abner to try to stick his nose in Bel's food. Separating everyone has solved that.

Hope this helps.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets