[Dailydrool] Food aggression

Susan Hurt toodlessm at aol.com
Sat Mar 26 21:21:04 PDT 2011

Hi Tom,

I'm not at all an expert with dog aggression but I can tell you that I learned with our puppy Winston not to pet him while he is eating; he interprets this action as a challenge/provocation.  Perhaps he should have a separate corner to eat in initially where he feels safe, and then very gradually move the bowl to a more central area if you choose if he ceases to growl?   Also, have you thought about preparing your dog's next meal immediately after he finishes his last one?  That way there won't be any time for agitation to develop during the next meal preparation.  And I assume that you put your dog in the crate at times other than just those centering around meal time?  Just some thoughts.

Susan