[Dailydrool] ASTT & "Gifts"

Dayna Whitehead Dayna.Whitehead at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 14:13:34 PDT 2011

When I lived in Texas with 2 bassets and 2 beagles, gifts were the norm;
that is up until one gift in particular. My male would be so proud every
time he would bring in something he caught. We lived at the end of a small
road in the country on 40+ acres so there was always something to find. He
brought me garter snakes, rats, mice, etc., just like yours. Were your
“gifts” sometimes alive? The rats, mice and snakes sometimes were. I’m not
afraid of snakes. Here, in Michigan, I will, on occasion find one in the
yard and chase my husband with it since he is most definitely not fond of
snakes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we had a dog door. The doggie
door became permanently sealed when he brought in a dead diamondback
rattler. It was just a baby at 4 ½ ft. long. I freaked out!! I screamed, I
ran around like a chicken with her head cut off. I locked everyone in the
utility room and called the police. They came out only because they couldn’t
understand me on the phone. They thought someone was dead or dying from the
way I was screaming and crying on the phone. I looked at all the dogs to see
if there were fang marks; didn’t find any. The police called animal control
to pick up the snake and the A/C officer was kind enough to look over my
babies for bite marks. I ended up in the ER and had to be sedated I was so
upset. I had just gotten out of the Army and spent 8 months in Saudi and
Kuwait so was no high-strung light-weight, but this had so upset me that I
was cracking. Nothing like that has ever happened since and I do NOT believe
in dog doors for that reason. I make a great deal of jokes about that
incident now, but it truly upset me like nothing else ever has.

Thanks,

Dayna
mailto: Dayna.Whitehead at comcast.net

Mom to: Pierre, LaBelle, Bubba ATB (1/24/2011) and notabassets Izzy, Elke
and Nikki ATB (10/2/2010)