[Dailydrool] Subcutaneous fluid injection

Susan Hurt toodlessm at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 18:09:15 PDT 2011

Thanks to everyone who sent me posts about the potential dangers of subcutaneous fluid injections.  From what I have learned, it is a very benign procedure and my Winston had an extremely rare complication from the procedure.  It turns out that he contracted an infection from the bacteria Pasteurella after his subQ injection that infected and settled into the area under his skin on his right side.  There are three affected areas now, one with a 3 x 2 inch abscess, one with a 1 x 2 inch skin erosion, and one with a 5 x 2 inch area of cellulitis.  The abscess was sutured successfully.

Winston is doing well on Clavamox and pain meds.  I am writing this note to alert everyone about the rare but possible complications of subQ fluid injections (and for the record, there was no dextrose in Winston's fluids).  Perhaps bassets with their extra skin may be more susceptible to this occurrence than other breeds?  I am certainly not going to forbid subQ injections in my dogs in the future, but in Winston I may not allow it unless absolutely necessary.  The thought that he has an immunologic deficiency has crossed my mind as well.

One further note, the only reason Winston was diagnosed quite early with his problem was that he was not behaving normally and even though the vet said there was reason for him to be acting a bit "woozy" after an ear flush and a punctured ear drum, I insisted on bringing Winston into the vet for observation.  It was only many, many hours later that the infection was detected.  So I definitely learned something:  when you think something may be wrong with your pet, bring him or her into the vet for observation!  The cost is negligible and the peace of mind is priceless.

I just want my 11 month old pup back to his normal self.

Susan