[Dailydrool] Canine Influenza

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Sun May 1 09:05:40 PDT 2011

Utah Friends of Basset Hounds has had some cases of something worse than kennel cough, which we think is canine influenza, with some of the hounds coming in from shelters.

We lost one 10 year old, McGee, to this (which develops into pneumonia) and our limited funds are maxed with treating the others. We did get some free flu vaccine as a grant from
the manufacturer through Petfinder, but our vets have mixed reviews on it's effectiveness.
They don't seem to think the vaccine is harmful, or dangerous, just maybe didn't "hit the mark" on the right strain of virus--much like the human flu vaccine.

McGee was a recent intake and older, so he may have had some underlying health issues
we did not know about, but it broke our hearts.

If any rescues or any individuals have any input or experience with this, would you please let us know?  Off list is fine.

Marilyn Briggs