[Dailydrool] Micro Bassets

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Wed May 4 18:17:58 PDT 2011

We have had several micro Bassets here in Missouri because since people seem
to like small dogs and renters can have smaller dogs the puppy millers here
in Missouri have been breeding smaller Bassets with smaller Bassets making
them smaller and smaller. We have seen several in the 30 to 35lb range not
thin just small.
The Breeders here in Missouri though are breeding traditional size Bassets
so we get a mixture. I have had Bassets up to 100lbs and not terribley
overweight most of my rescues are 60 to 80 and up like in Bev's family they
are large dogs with good weight not fat.
You would not believe how many people say to me when meeting their first
Basset " I did not realize they were that big" I always say they are like
Saint Bernards with long ears and short legs.
I woulds say 90% are normal size and 10% are small that we take into rescue.