[Dailydrool] Dog Trainers

Alison Haber alison.haber625 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 06:21:09 PDT 2011

We have a 17 month old female who came to us at 17 weeks old.  She was a
really  "good" puppy for a really long time, but in the most recent months
she has become very destructive. She was so good we were able to put the
crate away and she had freedom only in our famly room when we were out of
the house. She is totally housebroken, so that is good. We now have to
remove everything from our kitchen counters, and near dresser edges in every
room in the house. She can also open all of our doors as they have flip
handles and she has mastered that trick! No surprise!!!

This past weekend she ate part of a chair, she has now advanced to
furniture. We really try to teach her, saying no, putting her in the crate,
but she just does not listen. It is like talking to a wall. I know that my
husband and I are very bad at disciplining our doggies as we have had two
other Bassetts.  It was never this bad, and there was always an end to the
destruction!! This one is the worst behaved and I am not seeing any
improvement, only the opposite.

I went on line and found dog trainers here in the south Florida area.  One
of them will take her for 2 weeks and work with her numerous times during
the day and return her a better behaved animal, who will listen to commands.
 He swears he does not hurt the animals, but he does prefer an electric
collar with very low voltage, but that is up to us to include or not. We
have used the invisible collar here in the house in the past to keep them
out of certain areas. Has anyone had any experience with this type of
training? It is costly, but if it will work, I will try just about anything,
I am so ready to give the dog away.

Alison