[Dailydrool] Bassets are "Large" dogs

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Thu May 5 08:20:04 PDT 2011

I keep reading about the smaller females.  Well not true in my house.
 MacKenzie (female) last weighed in at 80 pounds.  Yup, 80.  Poppy, is my
light weight female at about 62 pounds.  Gallagher, the male, is about 75
pounds.  Gallagher is just a big boy, no concerns about his weight by the
vet.  He has a waist.  All three walk twice a day, sometimes more than an
hour each time.  Of course for a basset that means about a mile.  They run,
they play.  MacKenzie does not have a waist.  She's a fluffy (don't let her
hear "obese") basset.  We're trying yet another food to cut her back.  But
to watch her run up a flight of stairs, jump up on any stranger and leap
onto the couch, you'd never know she was "the fat one".