[Dailydrool] Larger vs. smaller bassets

Eileen Kastura bassetbabe at comcast.net
Fri May 6 06:49:09 PDT 2011

I am very much a lurker here on the DD for too many years to count, but I've
been enjoying the discussion on the size and poundage of our beloved
bassets.  My first two bassets, Barney and Mickey, ATB, never weighed more
than 55 lbs.  However, my current sweetie pie, Toby Lance, weighs in at 70
to 72 lbs.  Now, his grandfather, Vinney, went 70 lbs also, so when we got
him I knew he would be a "big" basset.  He had the biggest paws I ever saw.
According to my vet, while he does not consider Toby "fat" or overweight,
he'd like to see him below the 70 lb. mark.  I do try with giving him more
carrots and good treats rather than his biscuits all the time.  Toby does
have a "waist" which is the sign that they are still okay and not fat and
round, so that's good.  He is long as well.  Toby and I would never consider
calling him "fat", he's just "fluffy" and "cuddly".

Eileen and Toby Lance