[Dailydrool] Weights and Chests

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Fri May 6 09:53:17 PDT 2011

While I am so sorry that Maggie suffers from weight issues due to health issues, I am so grateful I am not the only one.  I have thyroid issues and I get stuck taking a lot of steroids and corticosteroids for my allergies and asthma.  I know firsthand how hard it is to control the weight.  I eat rabbit food all the time.  Maybe that is why I torture the boys?  As for chests, I really do think that the dogs with the really overdone chests have more issues with arthritis.  You all know my tragic story with Louise.  She had a huge chest and shoulders and died at age 4.5 from back issues.  Elwood was also overdone in the chest and shoulders.  He had all kinds of shoulder and neck issues.  I never noticed any back issues until we took an x-ray of his hips and knees.  His back had horrible spondylosis.  I think the poor boy had arthritis everywhere.  He had to side load into a crate because he couldn't turn around and we probably had him 8 months before we figured out he wasn't dumber than a box of rocks.  They always say you can gage a baby's intelligence by how well they can figure out how to get out from under the furniture.  Elwood was forever getting stuck when we first got him.  Plus, I swear he didn't "speak" English.  He was 7 when we rescued him.  After 8 months we were out of alternative words for treats and their spellings.  He just couldn't turn around to save his life.  In hind sight I have to wonder if it was arthritis in his back.  He never got on furniture and his chest was so deep he couldn't do stairs.  We had to carry him and he was a chunk.

Jennifer, Mom slave to Beauford and Bugsey