[Dailydrool] Another houndie lawyer for the firm of Nigel & Llewis, Esq.

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 14:38:39 PDT 2011

There is a small covered portico just outside our front door which provides
shelter to anyone standing at the front door in a rainstorm. To the left of the
portico is a small laundry room. Today I was outside doing laundry and found my
nostrils curling from an absolute stench (ammonia-like; don't know if nostrils
actually curl). At first, couldn't figure out the source. It has been pouring
rain all week.

We have two hounds. One is a gentleman--Harley. In all the time we have had him,
Harley has never had a housebreaking accident. (His brother, Bo, is a different
story entirely--Bo's nickname of Mr. Pee-body is well earned). During this past
week of rain, several times I have noticed Harley standing three-quarters out of
the dog door; just back legs inside the house; doggie door flap balanced on his
head; surveying the territory. I assumed he was checking to see how hard the
rain was coming down and whether it was dry enough to venture outside or not
yet.

Oh no--Lt. Harley was following the letter of the law on house rules, though not
its spirit, as I think lawyers say. His plumbing apparatus was resting on the
ledge of the doggie door and he was peeing through the doggie door onto the
welcome mat just outside the door on the covered portico. The welcome mat was
positively saturated with pee! ("Hey mom, I was peeing outside--can't fault
me".) What a welcome for anyone unlucky enough to stand at our door.

And Bo? He found indoors just as convenient. I've got the Bissell out today. I
guess Lt. Harley still wins the prize. So Lt. Harley wonders if the firm of
Nigel & Llewis, Esq. would be interested in a new hire.