[Dailydrool] Maggie--not Cushings

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:34:20 PDT 2011

Well, Maggie is back from the vet. CBC, chem screen, urinalysis, fecal were
all ran. Fecal was fine. Urinalysis showed excessive protein in her urine.
This further led to the blood testing. Her sodium was low, her phosphorous
was high. The ratio of sodium to potassium placed her at borderline
Addison's Disease.

The vet gave her three injections for calming the bowel, antibiotic, and
something else. WBC count was OK. She just had blood work on 4/23 and the
levels of the chem screen were normal.

We are to give her pedialyte or gatorade over the weekend and muzzle her for
outside so she does not eat grass (showed in fecal). No food until Saturday
night and then onto the bland diet again.

If she has not improved on Monday am, I am to drop her off at the vet before
work for more tests. Then, we will further pursue the possibility of
Addisons.

She has diarrhea, she has a tremor in her back legs, she has increased
thirst, she stopped getting on the dog couch about a month or so ago, and
she has trouble off and on going up and down the 2 stairs to the outside. We
have had her to the vets for gastro symptoms and for lethargy as well as not
climbing the 2 stairs about 3 or 4 times the last year. I guess the signs
are adding up.

It's not aging. 11 1/2 years old and we have to decide if she has Addisons,
do we treat it and if so how, depending on the type. Vet states it could
cost $500 a month to treat.
--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,