[Dailydrool] Tony Update

James Emma dariaemma at verizon.net
Sun May 22 06:15:31 PDT 2011

Hi all,  I wanted to update everyone about Tony.  I posted early last
week that we seemed to be having an aggression issue, food/toy
protecting maybe.  anyway, we have been following all the advice we
received from our drool friends and Pam, basset rescue of florida.  We
have asserted OUR alpha status and let Tony know that he is a - dare I
say it without fear of basset retribution --  DOG.  I know, I know,
that there is no such thing as a basset dog but .......
We have Tony sit, sit , sit, sit for absolutely everything.  No meals,
pets/belly/ear rubs, or treats until he stops demanding them.  No
BARKING for food or attention.  when barking starts, we stop getting
his meal and walk away.  IF he is at the treasure cabinet and whining
for a cookie, we walk away and ignore him.  within a minute, the
behavior stops and we call him to us.  Sit, then we give him some
attention.  I think we overwhelmed him when we brought him home.  He
didn't know his place so he tried to take over. He is much more
relaxed now he knows we rule the roost.
anyway, we also had him scheduled for dental work and growth removal
for a fleshy thing on his leg.  I picked him up Friday night and our
vet said his teeth were NASTY.  He had 2 molars removed because they
were cracked, broken and starting to abscess, 1 on each side of lower
jaw.  The vet thinks this may have been why Tony bit my husband Monday
night.  HE was trying to get Tony to take a chew bone.  He may have
hurt his jaw.  One tooth had the pulp and nerve exposed. So far, he is
100% better but we will continue the "I (Daria/Jimmy) am the boss and
you are the dog" training.  We will be getting a trainer to work with
us when I get back from another road trip.  We need help getting him
to walk with a leash.

Have a great week everyone!!
Daria