[Dailydrool] Miniature bassets

Adelaide Dawes addydawes at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:53:50 PDT 2011

We have personal experience here in our area of a breeder who was
intentionally breeding her bassets smaller and smaller.  You may remember
our intake of 61 basset hounds in one day from South Fork Ranch in Red
Bluff.  The owner, Wanda Rogers, was intentionally trying to breed what she
called 'apartment bassets'.  Some of the dogs that came out of there were
only 25lbs... fully grown and not going to get much bigger.  As she was
breeding well over 100 pups a year, and shipping them all over, we know that
her breeding has affected the size of bassets (especially the ones we see in
rescue).

We still get bigger dogs of course.  Classic, heavy boned, close to the
breed standard dogs that are usually a minimum of 60lbs, but I think what
Kelly meant was that it is now not as common to see well bred, close to the
standard, bassets in rescue.  Snoopy was at our Bunnies and Bonnets parade
and got to see first hand how one breeder can influence so many bassets in
Northern California.

We're actually going to do a DNA test on one of our 'small' specimens to see
if Wanda was throwing some other breed (strongly suspect beagle or even
cavalier king charles, who she also bred and may have been the origin of
some of the long hair bassets that came out of there).  Even if she didn't
cross breed, she definitely bred the smaller dogs on purpose in the hope
that the pups would be smaller.

It seems like she may not be the only puppy mill breeder doing this.  Sad.

OH!! Check out our Woofle... top prize is an iPad2!!
http://www.ggbassetrescue.org/info/display?PageID=10477

Thank you!!

--
Addy Dawes