[Dailydrool] Basset sizes

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu May 5 05:28:35 PDT 2011

We have all shapes an sizes here. Jersey is up to 61 lbs now and really
should weigh a pound or two less. She has paddles for feet and is a true
basset in every way...especially in bassitude! Ginger is the biggest at 64
lbs and you can actually see the out line of her ribs! It would not be a bad
thing for her to gain one or two pounds. Hard to believe anyone's ribs can
be seen in this house with all the treats these guys demand throughout the
day. Suzy is a late bloomer. She weighed about 45 lbs when she was two but,
over the next year, she gained 13 lbs and has weighed 58 lbs for the past
couple of years. I'm not sure if the crate abuse that she endured had
anything to do with her growth or some of the health issues that she had
when she came to us slowed things up but she sure made up for lost time
finally. Then there is our Shadow. She is the least food motivated basset I
have ever seen. She weighs about 42 lbs and that is a good weight for her. I
doubt that we'll ever have to worry about her weight because we have to just
about beg her to eat at meal times. We initially had to hand feed this
little girl when she first came to us and she still acts like she's being
punished at meal times. It's very obvious to us that something really
traumatic must have happened to her at some point in her previous life that
scared her to death when it comes to food. Everyone here is a rescue so
we'll never know what their background is.

Someone in our rescue recently said that they had heard of someone breeding
miniature bassets and they were calling them "apartment " bassets. I'm not
too sure how well any basset hound regardless of size would do in a small
apartment! We wondered if our foster girl, Angel, was from this breeder. She
was a tiny 29 lbs when she came to us and should never weigh more than 35
lbs. She was such a little thing compared to our crowd here.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger