[Dailydrool] Basset diets

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Sat May 7 08:21:10 PDT 2011

I think one part of dieting that people overlook is weighing the kibble.   Kibble nuggets
can and do vary in weight.   Weighing the kibble can make a BIG difference.  I usually start
reducing the amount I feed of kibble by 1/8 c. every week until the dieter starts to lose.  I also
make a veggie and kibble bowl but use  bigger chunks of raw veggies and a little fruit to help
fill them up.   Dogs  cannot break down the cellulose wall of raw veggies so they pass through
the digestive tract without adding any calories.  I use a grain free kibble because I know that the
real culprit of failing diets is the amount of carbohydrates in the food.  Of course after now having
2 bassets with cancer I really limit the carbs because I know carbs feed cancer.

As for treats the gang either gets all natural jerky, carrots or a piece of fruit.  I prefer the jerky just
because it adds good protein to their diet.  They also get a meaty rib bone when I can catch them
on sale.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang with our foster basset,  Fabulous Freddie
Please Visit Freddie's Cancer Treatment Fundraiser Page:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/FabulousFreddie/golden-gate-basset-rescue-inc