[Dailydrool] Pig Ear Recall - Pancreatitis

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Tue May 10 13:42:45 PDT 2011

Pancreatitis ... a Quick read ...

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p21Pancreatitis.htm

The key points ... high fat diet, and diagnosis through patient history,
physical exam (most likely checking for sound/firmness/response to abdomen
pressure) and Lab work.

If the blood work was done on Pearl it is expected to see higher amylase &
lipase enzymes.  The doctor hearing you feed pig ears, probably jumped to
the conclusion/diagnosis.  In part I would have expected the doctor, if
knowing you and the hound, might have skipped the blood work if they
suspected it was diet related... and to save you a few bucks ... but if
doing so the Vetman should have been explicit in saying so..

Pig ears ... I always assumed as higher fat items.. hence the fatty acids
being out of balance, and pancreas being effected.   I don't feed them any
more as treats either.. mostly because the place I'd buy them cheaply was
Costco, and it would be a huge amount, that I'd worry would mold or "go bad"
because I didn't feed them that often .... and then on top of that (though
not related to Costco's brand) there had been several warnings about
salmonella ... so after that last bag last year or so.. I've not purchased
another..

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Pig Ear Recall

Last June my Pearl got Horribly sick after enjoying a pig ear. The vet
called it Pancreatitis, but I've always blamed the ear.