[Dailydrool] How to decide when "it's time..."

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 09:30:55 PDT 2011

My dad's cat, Mau, is about 14 years old and is very ill. We found her a
kitten in a rainstorm and she has been around ever since. She has always
been a fierce feline, scaring away the other cats and ruling with an iron
paw. Now she is ill, semi-incontinent and lethargic but the vets can't seem
to figure out what it is based on the testing my dad has agreed to thus
far. When they hydrate her she rebounds but then eventually becomes ill and
lethargic again. Over the past 2 months she has lost 40% of her bodyweight
(10 lbs now down to 6).

Last week she was so ill and my dad decided she would need to be put down.
His wife wanted him to wait though because she was on a business trip until
Friday evening. He has never had to make this decision before but he knew
he couldn't let Mau continue like this. He made the appt for Friday night
and then waited until his wife returned but of course, Mau then rebounded
and has been doing well again thus far - eating, going outside, etc. Her
tramadol is running out and he fears/knows she will further decline in
health soon. The problem is, he can't decide when is the "right time". Do
you wait til she is doing bad again and then worry you've let her suffer
too long? Do you put her down while she seems well and happy because you
know the end is any day now? Will the vets look at him like he's crazy if
he brings her in while she seems fine? These are the issues he is
struggling with and I feel so bad for him having to decide this. I've
offered to go with him, and also to take her on my own if they can't handle
it, but they just can't decide when to do it.

To make this basset-related - the boys are scared sh*tless of her and will
not approach my dad's house if she is anywhere in the front yard. Rupert
will literally cross the street to avoid certain cats, and Mau is one of
them. :)

Drool to all,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert