[Dailydrool] Dog Aggression

Blasier, Melissa mblasier at newhall.k12.ca.us
Wed Nov 2 12:35:33 PDT 2011

Unfortunately, I have to chime in on this topic as well.  I was bitten
on my cheek in April by Hank and had to have stitches.  I was leaning
down to kiss him and kind of fluffed his ears and he growled and lunged
at me.  He has had ear infections on and off so we attributed it to that
and figured he was in pain and didn't want me touching his ears.  He is
the alpha in our household of 4 dogs, two of which are doxies.  He
sometimes growls at the others when they are too close to something he
wants such as a bone or a hold he's digging, etc.  That to me is fairly
typical behavior and everyone seems to get along the majority of the
time.  Yesterday, I leaned down to kiss him goodbye as I was leaving for
work and the same thing happened.  The room was dark but he was awake
and it would have been almost impossible not to see or hear me with all
my jingling keys, etc.  I was able to pull away quickly and he only
nipped me on the side of my nose.  When I got home he was moping and
rubbing against my leg with a remorseful look on his face.  My husband
and I are going to take him to the vet to be sure he doesn't have
another ear infection or anything that might be causing him pain.  If
that is ruled out I am not sure what to do next.  He came to us as a
rescue so we don't know his past or what triggers he might have.  I keep
wanting to make excuses for his behavior, but the bottom line is that I
also have to protect my other dogs and family so the more I learn about
this the better.  Could it be that the way I approached him is
frightening or threatening in some way?

Melissa
Slave and personal chew toy to Hank, Desi, Mimsy & Duke (Doxies), Basil
& Lucy (ATB)