[Dailydrool] Followup on Bosley's Ears

Kenneth Miller klmiller at rev.net
Thu Nov 3 09:48:55 PDT 2011

Thanks to all those who have responded with suggestions about Bosley. I'm writing everyone back individually, but wanted to update the list on the continuing saga.

Bosley also had a couple of teeth pulled that were loose. So the boy had a rough day.

I called the vet's office about 12:45 yesterday to see how he was doing, the vet came to the phone, and spent about 15 minutes with me on the phone. The vet is trying something new that he read about for the serious infections in the ears. He said he felt fairly sure it was Pseuedemonas and had it there for a culture, if I was so inclined. I told him no, I was 99 percent sure it was, that it had never totally gone away from the last time.

He said he subscribed to a vet list on the internet, and had been reading about this new product which he had been trying to get some samples on. When he heard from the other vet how bad Bosley's ears were on Monday and that Bosley was coming back Wednesday for the dental and ear cleaning. He got on the phone and had the company overnight a treatment to him so it could be tried.

The vet said it is called BNT (Baytril/Ketoconazole/Trimcininolone) which is a very thick material. The vet has to melt, then cool it down,  then put into the ear canal. It is highly antibacterial, highly antifungal and anti-inflammatory, and its thickness will keep it in place for a good while.

Bosley will have to go back in two weeks, and they'll put him under slightly, asses the results, and perhaps apply again, this could go up to 3-4 times, and will still need to be watched closely. Of course, there is no guarantee it will work, but I think it is a far better chance than anything so far.

Bos was more than happy to get out of the place, when we got home, he stopped and peed for at least 2-3 minutes, then went and made three different stops for poop in the back yard. Now I really understand the meaning of the phase "pooped out". So we gave him a light meal of soft food, and then it was time to go on the couch and he slept most of the rest of the night.

The good news is, there was only minimal scratching and head shaking last night. Which is far better than what we had been having.

The bad news was, the vet also said he has a skin infection, Malazezzeo, some sort of yeast infection. I said we will tackle that after we get the ears in better shape. I feel like a bad hound father with all that is wrong here. So any suggestions on the skin infection, I'm more than happy to listen as well.

The skin infection has not bothered him nearly as much as the ears do, and I only want to put him through so much.

Thank you all for the drool and great suggestions!

Drool to all in need

Ken
with Bosley and Edsel (ATB)