[Dailydrool] Rage postings

jolet at aol.com jolet at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 15:29:10 PDT 2011

I just wanted to  thank those of you who were willing to share these tough experiences. It really helped to read them. In 1980 we got our first dog, my sister and I were  11 and 15,our mom read an article about the Wheaten Terrier. We still joke about this part---they described the dog as a great family pet whose good nature made them popular as nursing home and special needs children companions, never mind the no shedding. So we found a breeder and at Step 1 did the wrong thing-from the two "pet quality" pups we we picked the ultra-fluffy one, a living stuffed animal, but who was not very eager to interact, as opposed to the less cute one who was so happy to see us. We went straight to a family friend who was a vet for a quick check-up. As I held Holly on my lap, a cute woman with an Irish brogue came over  to pet our new pup and promptly got "bitten" by our gum-mouthed Holly. That was mistake #2, we didn't drive back to breeder.

We had Holly for ten years. During that time we learned that she only liked certain people, was a holy terror at the vet, and she loved to be brushed until she decided that she'd had enough, which, she'd let you know by grabbing your hand along with a creepy sort of snarly sound. It's hard to explain to people on the street that no, they can't pet your bundle of fluff. When we had company she mostly stayed in a bedroom, after several close calls. At a holiday dinner, she "ate up' the attention she was getting from our Aunt, a "dog person,"  wagging and nudging her to be petted more, until she decided that she'd had enough, and just as I was saying "Aunt Fran, slooowly pull your ......""" Holly jumped up and grabbed her by her dress under the armpit, the dress didn't look so hot but fortunately she missed our aunt's arm. She could be playful and sweet- slept cuddled with my sister every night. She also bit her twice (separate from the hand-grabbing) for no reason whatsoever. The second time Holly was about 10, and she came very close to my sister's eye, fortunately leaving only a small scar (no stitches  needed) on her cheek. We were just sitting at the end of a bed talking when it happened. My mom felt we just couldn't take chances anymore. We turned to our vet, who told us that there was  (and this is still true) a lot  that we just don't know about how the brain works and he suggested we put her to sleep. We painfully agreed. I always felt guilty and I still will, that we couldn't find some other solution. One thing I know is that there just wasnt the wide-spread training and info. out there like there is now, BUT in reading your postings I was stunned by the similarity because just before Holly ever bit, she too would get the oddest look, like she had been suddenly possessed, if you caught it in time you could try to slowly back away, but it was usually too late because she was cobra-like in the swiftness of the attack, and then she would be looking at you like, "what just happened?" So after reading your posts, and I have to admit there is something extra upsetting somehow when it's Bassets, I feel a little less guilty and to Fergus's family you certainly should not be made to feel like you somehow just didn't adequately handle the situation. I believe we all did what we did with an agonizing amount of thought and evaluation of the situation. In some cases it may be something that happened  in the past to some of our rescues, in others I think it is dysfunctional brain chemistry the same as we see in people.

Just my two cents.

Joanne, mamma to Rosemary and Veronica (no biting but a lot of wrapping me around their little dew claws and a few "nudges" in the back of the legs when it's dinner time and I'm walking too slowly to the kitchen)

jolet at aol.com
jolet at aol.com