[Dailydrool] adventure

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:41:00 PST 2011

Pierre Sr's best friend in the neighborhood was Harley, a gentle, highly trained, wonderful Pit Bull.  He went to the bridge before Pierre Sr who morned his loss greatly.  The family rescued a petite, young female pit bull who is named Angel.  She ran away once, and I was able to catch her for the family, just had my car at the right place at the right time.
Today is a beautiful day, perfect for dog walking.  I had Pierre jr. and Nikki together, the young ones, and we do a comfortable, leisurely pace, and I decided today would be a good day for extra distance.  We met some new fans of the pair, and we spent about 15 minutes getting pets for the hounds and we talked about dogs.  Pierre did his drop and roll for belly rubs.... Laughs from Vickie and Al....  Nikki knew there was chicken jerky in my sweatshirt pocket, and she starts howling because she wants some.  More laughs from Vickie and Al.  It was hard to drag the hounds away, but we got back on track and continue the walk.
On the next block, almost near the next corner to turn, I see dog legs from under the car in the driveway of Angel's house.  I assume correctly that it is Angel.  I was surprised she was out, off leash unattended, and cautiously I cross to the other side of the street before passing, but she did spot us, and she came dashing at us with her hair straight up on her back.  She was more interested in going after Nikki, and I screamed at the top of my lungs, "leave it", "go", staying as still and calm as I could.  Wow, I never knew I could yell that loud.  Nikki was screaming at her as well, but just made noise, no biting.  I would say the pit was sparing, assessing with aggression, but did not fully attack.  When she made a move on jr., he snapped back, but then he did a submissive roll.  I continued to bellow my commands of "leave it" and "go", at the top volume I could muster, but I was calm and very stern.  I think that helped abate an attack as well.  By this time some neighbors of Angel's family were coming to my aide.  A guy a few houses down tried to create separation by blocking Angel with his car, another man tried to bribe her away with cheese I had in my pocket and a woman tried calling the owner who was in the house, not answering her phone.  She has three young children and was probably busy and distracted.  Finally, the man with cheese tried knocking on the door, and Angel's owner came out.  I know these people, and I was surprised that she didn't apologize, and her only comment was "She is no Harley".   But, she got Angel, and I was able to make it home, no dogs harmed.  This is very rare to happen in my neighborhood.
The November moon is strong.  Watch out everyone, it will be full tomorrow.
JP goes for his abdominal ultra sound and x ray tomorrow.  After that, chemo is likely.  His prognosis is pretty good under the circumstances.  I have noticed a little drop in his appetite, and I am now mixing wet with his dry, but he is going on short walks, and generally seems happy.
Thanks to everyone for the drool.
Jackie and the herd