[Dailydrool] bladder crystals

Linda Wittig wittigs at live.com
Fri Nov 11 16:23:11 PST 2011

Roscoe, age about 6.5 years, rescued from Droopy Basset in Erie, about 3.5 years ago, has over the years taken to peeing inside. He loves the new, cheap carpet in our house. Lately, he has been doing large pees on the upstairs carpeted area which is just outside the bathroom door. I cannot determine if this is laziness, as he does it in the early morning hours only, or a medical problem. So, today, I followed him around the back yard and collected a urine sample (a stainless steel bowl works well, urine poured into a canning jar) and took it with Roscoe to see the friendly vet. Well, urine shows high PH at 9 and crystals. No white or red blood cells. Vet recommends 14 days of antibiotics and 250 mg. daily of Vitamin C. In 2 weeks I will follow Roscoe around the yard (almost like milking a cow!) and have his urine retested. If crystals remain, an xray will be done to see if there are bladder stones. When we adopted Roscoe from DBHR we were told he occasionally peed indoors. So, whether this is behavioral or medical, time will tell. But he was a "handsome man" at the vet's and a well behaved one as well. Buddy kept DH company in the car. DH had a stroke 5 months ago and the boyz move between DH sleeping downstairs and me sleeping upstairs. That's when Roscoe pees. Perhaps a diet change will be needed. And a lobotomy on DH so he doesn't feed his boyz food that HE should be eating and they SHOULD NOT be eating. Help!Linda, dog mom to 2 quite adorable, handsome men.