[Dailydrool] Woofing - how to stop it.

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Fri Nov 11 15:17:17 PST 2011

Cocker Spaniels in my experience are all nuerotic! ---Just my exeperience.They Woof just to hear themselves woofing and constanly nipping at the heals of humans or other dogs ankles or tails.  We have a cocker & 2 cocker retreiver mixes at doggie daycare who does all of this plus just stands in the middle of the play area and barks.  We have tried everything with them.  Pokining them on the hip or shoulder (like Ceaser) using a squirt bottle to squirt them with water...this works for a few minutes...sometimes. It's enough to make you want to go Marlene on them.  So as for the Cocker pups try a squirt bottle with water... in a stern voice say his name and "no bark"  and squirt him everytime he starts to open his biscuit hole. Maybe since he is young you can break him of this.

The squirt bottle did work on Ruger! He used to stand in front of you, just out of reach and bark at you.  If you got up to reach for him he'd jump just out of reach.  I use to think it was because he needed to go to out to pee/pooh or wanted to play but that was not it.  After trying everything else from growling at him "Ruger, No Bark to getting up, grabbing muzzle in hand, looking him in the eye and saying "no bark"  Only to have him start to do it again as soon as I sat down...I finally tried the water bottle (I didn't want to make him afraid of squirt bottles because of needing to use spray bottles to medicate hot spots or other skin irritation.) The squirt bottle worked after only using it twice!  Now I just say in my best momma dog growl "Ruger No" as I am reaching for it...he quits barking and jumps up on his perch with a huff!

Hope this helps.
Michele
Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers
Colt "Finally, someone got him to shut his biscuit hole!!!"
Ruger "Hey I'm trying to tell you something!!!!"
Colt "Forget it bro....She can't understand your yapping"

Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...