[Dailydrool] Making them puke it up at home

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:58:36 PST 2011

FIRST CALL YOUR VET OR POISON CONTROL AND THEN

Give about 3 ccs (maybe 2 teaspoons but I strongly suggest asking your Vet
for several syringes without needles to keep at home) hydrogen peroxide
followed by an equal amount of water. Continue until the dog vomits. He
will. It may take more or less with your dog but you will see the facial
expression change, believe me.
We always have the dogs vomit in the house where it is light enough that we
can examine the vomitus for whatever we are looking for at that particular
moment. (Put a newspaper down.)
Apomorhpine is something only a Vet should use.
You may also use Ipecac but Hydrogen Peroxide is every bit as good, they
stop puking fairly quickly and doesn't require that you remember an exact
dosage. You can shovel saltwater down their throats as well, but I have had
less luck with that. If you use salt, make SURE YOU ADD WATER!!
Also, it is best to have the dog vomit within 20 minutes or a half hour of
eating whatever it is they have gotten into this time.
AND do not make them vomit if they have eaten something corrosive or
splintered, like bleach or toothpicks, needles, etc. That's a Veterinary
emergency.

The Voice of Experience
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and yes, even Cooper.