[Dailydrool] Why you should take your Hound to the Vet ASAP when you think something is not right

Susan Green Suzyvette at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 14 20:52:12 PST 2011

As I write this King Holly Noelle is in a drug induced sleep after having unexpected surgery today.

It all started around 11AM yesterday (Sunday) when I saw blood and thought a cyst had burst.  She had 1 about a year ago, and it had started to come back.  But when I grabbed the surgical scrub and started to clean her up it just didn't look right.  I called our Vet and he called me back in about 15 minutes....it's part of Holly's wellness plan.  I told him what happened, but that it didn't look right to me.  We scheduled an appt. for this morning.  Figuring he might have to sedate her to clean it I didn't feed her....good thing.

When Doc saw it he immediately said snake or spider.  We have both in Texas, but have never seen a snake in my yard, and rarely see a spider.  She had a temp of 104.  She showed NO signs yesterday, or this morning, that she didn't feel 1000% okay.  He did blood work to make sure that she was okay for surgery, then put her on anitbiotic and pain med drips prior to surgery.

When he called me after surgery he said that the pocket of poison was the size of his hand, and that the smell almost knocked them over.  Had I waited another day or 2 she would have been dead....and NOT a sign from her that anything was wrong.  He said that the pain had to be horrific, and she never acted any different.

She is on 2 antibiotics and 2 pain meds for the next 5 days.  We go back on Friday and Doc will remove the drain probably.  Hopefully we will know for sure what bit her by then.  It's been sent out to the lab.

I just cooked a chicken breast b/c I have to feed her at midnight and give her all her pills.  I will then walk her once more and hopefully get some sleep.  I will be sleeping next to her, on a dog bed :)

So, if you THINK something is wrong, take your baby to the Vet.  If I hadn't we would have lost King Holly Noelle.

Suz
King Holly Noelle (In a very pleasant drug induced sleep)