[Dailydrool] Because of one dog...

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 10:55:56 PST 2011

It's hard to believe that eight years ago we did not own one basset.  I
don't think I ever met one in person.

Then there was that fateful day.  My sister was looking for either a male
beagle or lab-mix.  In our household. there were four dogs... Katie
(lab/greyhound), Baby (mostly gsd), Hunter (beagle) and Buddy (min
schnauzer).  As my sister was looking in the male ward at our local humane
society, I came upon an adorable red and white basset hound.  The basset
was making this "woohoo" noise.  I glanced at the cage card on this
basset.  The name listed was Tia.  Odd name for a male dog - then I looked
at the basset again.  Tia was a female.  Here in this male ward was this
beautiful red and white female basset hound.  My sister was asking the
shelter attendant about a young lab-mix.  I told my sister to look at this
female dog.  The shelter attendant didn't understand why a female was in
the wrong ward - the female ward had plenty of room.  My sister visited
with the young lab and then asked to visit with the basset.  Tia came home
with us that day.

We didn't know a thing about a basset hound.  The next morning Animal
Planet's Breed All About It featured the basset hound.  How ironic because
we just got a basset hound.  I thought it was odd this thing called a
"Waddle" but people seemed to be having a blast.  Little did I realize how
things would change in just a few years.

Tia was the first of many basset hounds in our house.  Slowly our canine
family evolved from one basset to five bassets as of today.  Tia taught us
a lot about basset hounds - both good and bad.  Because of one dog, both my
sister's and my love of basset hounds grew and grew.  Whenever a new foster
comes in and Tia complains, I remind her that it was her fault.  Because of
one dog we got involved in the Daily Drool and basset reescue.  I cannot
imagine my life without a basset or two or three in it.

Tia is still with us.  Her face is mostly white.  She prefers naps to
walks.  When Tia's time come to journey to the bridge (hopefully no time
soon), she'll leave behind a legacy.  Because of one dog, more than a
hundred were rescued.

Jan
Lady & Dexter

P.S. - the reason Tia was left at the shelter, she couldn't have pups.