[Dailydrool] Bloat Information

Kelly Jane Wilson chincoteaguegal at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 14:09:58 PST 2011

Hi all. Just wanted to add my experience with bloat. The first time was with Barney, a hunk of burning love dressed in a chocolate lab coat, age 11 or 12 at the time. We were visiting a friend some 400 miles from home. Barney was restless, went outside and tried to eat grass, came in and tried to vomit. Two things stood out in my mind. He tried to find a corner to go to or throw up in, and the SOUND. That Sound is forever imprinted in my memory. The Sound from somewhere at the tip of their tail trying to throw up. We found a nearby emergency vet and took him in. I was shocked to hear it was bloat and his stomach had torqued. They did the surgery and the Barn Dog recovered nicely and lived happily and noisily a couple more years.

The second time did not end well. I was visiting my cousin and after dinner her dog Digby the boxer mix was a bit restless. She took him outside to go potty and came back in saying he was trying to dislodge something in his throat or something like that. I heard The Sound and told her to get to the emergency vet RIGHT NOW, that he was bloating. I gave her the quick 15 second description that if his stomach had flipped surgery would be required. She decided early on that surgery would not be an option because Digs was up there in years. He didn't make it. He was just a lovely dog.

I had the same problem as Leslie that the video kept stopping. But if you can watch it and there is a good audio on The Sound, memorize The Sound. I tried to save Digby by getting my cousin to the vet ASAP upon hearing The Sound. The vet told her that the bloat had not progressed very far and that Digby had not suffered a lot of pain. In that I can take a bit of comfort.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, all!

Kelly Jane and the Wilson Gang, currently chasing squirrels and barking as usual