[Dailydrool] On the subject of Bloat

Vickie Zehring bubadog at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 21:14:18 PST 2011

Do not think only older dogs are susceptible to bloat . I've only had one experience with bloat and that was with a nine week old basset puppy. I worked for a Vet at the time. We had been away from the house from early evening to about 11 pm. I had missed the puppies evening meal. At that time I would just use two cake pans to hold the food add some water and let them have it. About 15 min. after feeding them I hear one puppy screaming. I ran down the basement steps to see what was going on,one large male puppy was just walking and crying ,I could see his stomach was very round ,more than it should be even after eating. I called the Doc I worked for at home and told him I had a puppy in bloat,he asked me if I was sure because it is almost unheard of happening to puppies.I told him I was absolutely sure.We met at the clinic,Doc put a section of garden hose down the puppy's throat and "WOOSH" his stomach deflated and out came all the stagnant dog food,poor baby.There was always the possibility it could happen to him again. I don't know if it ever did but time is of the essence when dealing with bloat .From the time we got home till we were at the animal hospitial was about 15 min. If I had gone to bed and not heard that puppy he would have been dead by morning. I believe he ate too fast and gulped quite a bit of air to cause the problem. Fed them on time after that.