[Dailydrool] We have decided to re-home Liz :(

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Mon Nov 28 11:20:26 PST 2011

It is with deep regret that my husband and I have come to the conclusion
that we must re-home Liz our rescue basset that we have had for almost two
years.   I have posted about our issues on and off over the last  couple of
years and we have worked very hard to keep her, but it has become clear
recently that our other dogs are in danger and are terrified of Liz.  As we
have been keeping her physically separated from the others the last week or
so while we are not home, she has escalated the situation in other ways,
making life in our home for the others very difficult at best.

The moderators have allowed me to post this information because 4 The
Hounds does not have room to take Liz back and they have given their
permission for us to attempt to rehome her.  OBR has been kind enough to
list her on their website as an owner relinquish.  I thought posting her on
a site filled with people who also love bassets might open up a door to a
wonderful home for her.  Below is the bio that will be posted on the OBR
site.

*Liz is a tri-color female basset hound.  She is spayed, is current on
shots, heartworm medicine and flea protection.  She weighs approximately 55
- 56 pounds and is just about perfect weight, or maybe just a tad heavy for
her frame.  She eats light food.  Liz is housebroken and we have generally
left her uncrated in the house while we are not at home with no problems
related to destroying the house.  We adopted Liz from an out-of-state
rescue almost two years ago.  We do not know how old she is as she came
into rescue as a stray.  It has been estimated that she is at least five
years old.  It has become clear over the time that we have had her that she
needs to be an only dog.  She is very alpha-female and despite all of our
efforts, she is not willing to share her people with other dogs, which is
making life in our home very difficult for our two other bassets that were
in our home before Liz arrived.  She loves her people and is very
affectionate with us and all people who have been in our house.  Loves
cuddling and belly rubs, doesn't mind the cat, attends doggie daycare once
per week with no problems, walks well on a leash.  She has not been around
small children during her time with us so I don't know how she would be
around them.  What she does not like is other dogs living in her space.  We
believe she would make a wonderful, loving companion for someone who plans
to have only her.  At some time in her past, she had a nasty break in her
front leg that was never repaired.  It does not look good, but she takes
Deramaxx daily and seems to get along perfectly fine with it.  We are
asking a $75 rehoming fee and will provide her vet records to her adopter.
If interested in meeting Liz, please call Alicia at 740-272-2459.*

Please contact me off-list with any questions or if you would like to see
pictures.  We plan to carefully screen anyone who might be interested in
her.

With lots of sad ARRooos,

Alicia Pool