[Dailydrool] Drool for Dexter

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 13:18:11 PST 2011

Over the weekend, our foster Dexter started squinting and looking very uncomfortable. We've been treating his only remaining eye for glaucoma, so I rushed him to the ER and had them look at it--actually we did this two times, since on Sunday things were still not improving. We saw the same vet both times, and after changing his medications, she told us to see the opthalmologist this week. The new medication didn't seem to do much. So we went back today and saw the eye doc.

The news is not terribly good. Dex's eye pressure has increased. So they did a procedure in which they put a needle in the eye to clear out the eye duct. His pressure dropped again. Dex has new medications, but the doc is suggesting surgery.

Please sling the drool in poor Dex's direction. He's a real trooper, who was charming everyone in the vet's office, but it's hard on him.

I knew this could happen, though I'd hoped it wouldn't happen so soon. I'm still upset. We will adopt him, I'm sure, but we need to care for his medical needs--may we make the right decisions for him.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets