[Dailydrool] Blindness in dogs, especially Bassets

Jjcsandrcs at aol.com Jjcsandrcs at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 16:15:42 PST 2011

Just wanted to give some news to person with basset with eye pressure
problems.  Our first Basset, Sunshine lost the vision in second eyes  when she
was about eight, first eye went when she was six.  We moved about  that time
and were surprised at how well she did sightless.  We lived in a  two story
house with steps down into the back yard.  .  She did so  well on both once
she figured out where everything was.We had two preschool  children at the
time.  She lived blind for another 2-1/2 years.

My daughter, who is a vet, has had two blind dogs, a choc lab who was blind
 from birth-so sweet with her toddlers and able to negotiate all stairs
after  they moved twice in his life.  He lived to be 12 and as she said  he
was 'her first-born child'.  Her second blind dog was rescued this time  last
year, Golden retriever. A few problems learning the doggie door at  first.
Housetrained and trusting now after a lot of work with him.

Sorry to be so long but wanted you to know that dogs can live happily
blind; it might be time to take out the eye which is causing him pain--they even
 have prosthetic eyes if you can't bear the sight of his eye sewn shut.
Don't give up on him.---Jean