[Dailydrool] Retractable leash - DANGEROUS

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 07:39:59 PST 2011

First off, I'm very sorry to hear about Kipper.  It could happen to any of
us whether using a retractable lead or a traditional leash.  You gave him a
chance to experience love and be part of a family.  My heart aches for you.

As far as retractable leashes, like Donna Funk said they are not safe.
There was a lawsuit in Missouri regarding injuries suffered when the cable
from the retractable leash wrapped around someone's legs.

I've never trusted them since Scuttlebutt (my sister's beagle mix weighing
less than 50 lbs) broke the retractable leash for dogs over 75 lbs.  He
picked up a scent and away he went.  My sister still had the handle in her
hand - Scuttlebutt was running through the park.  Luckily the cable got
caught in some bushes - Scuttlebutt was only a few yards away from a busy
city street.

Many vet offices and dog events are banning retractable leads.  At the
annual Bark in the Park in St. Louis, retractable leads are not allowed.
If you walk into our vet's office with a retractable lead, you are handed a
traditional leash to use until you leave the premises.  The vet office
decided to ban the retractable leashes after several dog fights in their
waiting room.  The owners were not in control of their dogs.

If you currently use a retractable lead, please consider getting a
traditional leash.

Jan
Lady & Dexter