[Dailydrool] Shelter Challenge

Jjcsandrcs at aol.com Jjcsandrcs at aol.com
Thu Nov 24 06:47:35 PST 2011

Hey all--just wanted to say that Carolina Basset Hound Rescue would be
thrilled to get the powerful vote of the Drool to see if we can pull ourselves
up from 12th place.  As with all Rescues, we struggle for money and   have
been operating in the red for a couple of years. Our sole benefactor has
helped to keep us in a positive cash flow, but we never know, for sure,
whether  he will continue from year to year.

We were hit particularly hard with several different very expensive vet
bills this year and last.  One was for a rescue who had been hit by a car  and
had to have her front leg re-built, then she had a terrible case of  Parvo.
 Her bills were over $5,000--her foster named her Mercedes--I wonder  why.

We also had a Basset who was in full labor when we took her in.  She  had
an emergency c-section and had 11 pups, five of which were  adopted four
months later.  The other six didn't make it past the  first day.  We named her
Mercy.  She also came in with sores full  of maggots, so had been on her own
for some time, we believe.  She had two  loving fosters over two years, was
adopted and now lives in Seattle WA.  Simultaneously, we had Franklin who
lost use of his back legs, had back surgery  and spent the rest of his life on
'wheels' .

Also, wanted to  plug the Malleys candy fundraiser --Even though  i now
live in  NC , I grew up in Cleveland OH and knew Malleys  well.  Just got my
order and was pleasantly surprised by the same quality I  remembered and the
fast shipment--please order and help out the OH  Houndies.---Jean Sankey