[Dailydrool] Bloat

Gwen Dossey pengwen65 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 14:07:19 PST 2011

Our Sadie Jean bloated while I was at work in 2007.  She ALWAYS got these HUGE drinks of water.  I'm not sure if that's what caused it or not, but the husband got up in the middle of the night and found her panting and not acting right and called me at work.  For whatever reason, I went right to the DD and looked up the symptoms of bloat and printed them out before flying home!  When I got there he had her up on the couch and she was panting like crazy and her stomach was hard as a rock.  I called the emergency vet and told them that we had a basset hound that I believed was bloating and that we'd be right there so they were waiting for her.  She had totally tortioned and we elected to help her to the Rainbow Bridge because they weren't sure she would survive the surgery at 12-1/2 years old.  It was the hardest thing we've ever had to go through!  Later when we got home I found a couple of spots where she threw up bile which would have let us
 know more definately what she was going through.

To this day I still don't know how I knew that she was bloating just from that description of her over the phone, but I thank the DD for letting me know about it and putting it somewhere in my memory banks so I knew how serious it was for our girl!!

When Sasha was spayed on Monday, I asked the spay/neuter clinic if they could tack her stomach down since they were in there.  They couldn't for whatever reason, so we'll just keep our paws crossed that she'll never have to go through this like her big sister that she's never met!!

Healing drool for all those in need!

~Gwen, Teddi, Madden and Sasha~ (:>