[Dailydrool] Feeling incompetent

Alla Babushkina death2myalarm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 15:07:32 PDT 2011

Visited my mom an her dog today. Instead of playing, Dascha went and
found a tube of the dog's triple antibiotic cream (how did she even
get it? since when has she learned to jump up on counters?) and
quietly chewed it in a corner. When we found her, everyone freaked
out, of course. A call to the animal poison control hotline and a
quick search of the Imternet put our fears to rest, it won't hurt her,
but I still feel like the most incompetent owner ever. Dascha gets
into everything, including things we thought she could never reach,
and now I'm even more worried that she'll hurt herself accidentally.
And people seem to want to hurt dogs; some houses in our area line the
boundaries of their front yards with broken glass (this, apparently,
is legal). How do I ensure the safety of a dog who is often stubborn
and far more inventive than I am?
Alla, caretaker of Dascha the Basset

Sent from my iPhone