[Dailydrool] It's a BASSET, and general idiocy

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 3 12:23:26 PDT 2011

Morse has lots of very baggy skin and so apart from often being told he is fat (grrrr), and 'he's a big one isn't he? are they normally that big?' (to which I feel like retorting 'are you meant to be that rude?') he also gets called 'she' all the time.   I have lost count of the amount of times I have heard people saying 'oh its a beagle' or (even more common) 'oh its a bloodhound'.  Some people even argue, saying 'oh, but he's very long isn't he?' as if to say 'are you sure he's a basset, he looks more like a bloodhound you know'.  While on the 'annoying people' theme, I must add that I am infuriated by people who ask Morse's age, and then when hearing he is 7 go on to say 'how long do they live for?' or (patronisingly) 'he's done well hasn't he, they don't live for that long do they?'  However, one of the worst insults was to Pumbaa ATB when we met a walker out with her dog one day and on seeing Pumbaa she bawled at me 'what kind of spaniel is
 that?'  Bearing in mind Pumbaa's hatred of spaniels, I think he wanted to eat her alive.
Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB