[Dailydrool] The "Belly Mohawk"

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 04:13:43 PDT 2011

First & foremost, the hounds here in MI are sending drool to all those who
need it, 2 & 4 legged alike!

Now, this may seem like an odd question, but do all hounds have what I call
the "Belly Mohawk?" I was talking with another dog owner at the dog park in
my complex, and they were mentioning that Emma was an extreme low rider
(obviously, they hadn't seen too many bassets before!) And I was pointing
out that while she was short, her belly mohawk made it look like she was
maybe an inch off the ground, instead of the 3-ish+ inches that she actually
is off the ground.

By "Belly Mohawk," I mean the flap of skin that dangles down off the belly.
I guess it's from all the extra droop & extra skin that the hounds have? I
did notice, however, that Joey does not have nearly as much of a belly
mohawk. Is this because he's much more streamlined (longer legs, same
general size throughout the body, vs. Emma's stumpy legs & big barrel
chest)?

I'm wondering, do all hounds have a bit of a belly mohawk? Is it just
something that sort of develops as they age?

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey & Emma, with Slater (ATB), Aunty to Checkers, Domino
& Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473