[Dailydrool] Pearl trains more slaves

Synthia and Hounds mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 8 06:28:06 PDT 2011

Pearl is doing very well since her surgery. She is eating everything I put in front of her now - the home cooked food I make mixed with some canned and powdered kibble (in the food processor so she doesn't need to chew it). She is getting satin balls, that she initially refused and now scarfs down, and taking her meds well in pill pockets. She still gets the occasional turkey dog and she's been sucking down the BilJac liver treats. She's going to need a diet soon if she keeps this up.
Her back seems a bit better, but the leg is still a bit weak. She is still supposed to be resting, and I have been gating her in the bathroom. For the last week, I (or the pet sitter) come in to find the gate down and Pearl out in the living room. I tried double gating - one on each side of the doorjamb. Gates down and Pearl out. The Newfie has been letting her out. I think she may be saving the extra liver treats to pay the "muscle" to do the heavy lifting. Pearl can't knock one gate down, let alone two. So, I left her out yesterday. I came home and the gate to the bedroom was down and Pearl was sleeping in there. The Newfie was in the kitchen where he usually sleeps. Looks like she is using him to get her where/what she wants.
This is a new one on me. How do I convince the Newfie that Pearl really needs to rest and not walk all over the house when it appears his job is now to be her slave? I am going to try an expen in the living room and see if that works. I don't want to crate her if I can help it. She doesn't have a great association with crates from her former life and with the fused back, I think she needs a little more room to move and turn. Pearl is quite a task master.
Drool to all in need,Synthia, one of the slavesZuma, Kahuna, Pearl (I want what I want and you need to get it for me),Griffin (well, she can't do it herself, I need to help), Cardiff (I try to play with her, but she doesn't like that)