[Dailydrool] Reasons

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 11:18:49 PDT 2011

I would think some of you may be wondering why Nigel is still with us and
has not been put down, as that is, we are told by more than one expert in
the field, our only choice now.
I am not sure I can explain it satisfactorily, but perhaps some of you have
experienced the same thing either with yourselves or other members of the
family and will have an inkling of what I am trying to say.
I believe Nigel should be put down. He is not in pain but he is not happy.
Every day brings a new problem and every day John and I are more tired and
more demoralized. How can they treat cancer but not a Basset back?
How can they build a stealth helicopter but not fix Nigel's spine?
How can he be fine one day and be unable to be helped the next?
No matter. We keep him clean, dry, comfortable, fed, watered and loved. And
one of us cannot let go. This is nothing new, this has happened before. I
understand and I try very very hard to respect this, and to--at the same
time-- encourage rational decisions. Pushing only makes things worse. Some
people take longer to get to the same conclusion I had reached yesterday but
I have to force myself to remember that mine is not the only conclusion that
counts.
Anyway if there are those of you out there thinking SO DO IT , ALREADY!!
This is an attempt to explain why we have not. As long as Nigel is
comfortable, I will wait it out. I have been here, before.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley, Cooper and DH, whose heart has broken.