[Dailydrool] Difference between roll and alpha roll?

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 13:34:49 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Well, admittedly I'm the clueless momPerson, but  I have had dogs all my life.
And I love them with a full heart.  That said, I have always taught my dogs to
let me reach into their mouths to remove things.  I've also always taught them
to allow me to roll them over.  Their health may depend on it.  A tick or a rash
or a wound or Dog knows what all else, I or a vet may need to examine their
tummy.

Now Cyrus won't allow anyone but me or the DH to roll him over.  So, when we go
to the vet we always have to roll him so she can check his gut.  And, it takes a
minute or two (or seven) ... sit, down, over and gently helping (insisting?)
until he is over and then the vet can prod around.

Are you guys saying we shouldn't do this?  I *think* you are saying that we
shouldn't use this as punishment, which makes sense because if the dogs thinks
he is being punished for no reason he won't cooperate with you.

Now, I've taught every Lab I've ever had to do this.  And I didn't know any
better with Snoopy, but I know it took a good MONTH for him to allow me to roll
him (barely start to roll, good boy.  next time 1/4 over Good boy.  later 1/2
over GOOD boy.  Finally all the way over YEAH, now THAT'S my SNOOPY.  And giving
him a bone and then getting it back out of his mouth and then examining it and
giving it back took FOREVER.  He didn't want to give it up ... period.  But he
does now, he knows he'll get it back or if it's taken because it's too small
he'll get something else yummy instead and momPerson will quit bugging him.

So, I feel pretty strongly that teaching a dog these things can save a LOT of
pain and aggrevation later.  But it should never be a punishment.

Agree?  Or am I really just hopeless??

--Dale