[Dailydrool] roll, roll over, sit, situp.

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:33:24 PDT 2011

There is a world of difference between teaching a dog to let you roll him
over and doing an Alpha Roll. The latter is not a punishment, but a
statement of power. It is meant to tell the dog that YOU are alpha.
Unfortunately, a lot of people miss this point when their dogs, angry and
terrified, strike back.
Teaching a dog something is entirely different. I can take things from my
dogs, roll them over, turn them upside down, and do just about anything but
let someone else try it, and it is a whole different story. In short: my
dogs trust me.
You don't teach the alpha roll: you DO it. It is reactive.
I would rather spend a month teaching an arrogant dog a down stay than try
one Alpha roll. You accomplish the same mental response but in a different
way. And you get to keep your face.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper